I just read Transcript of Linda Stone Talk at Etech 2006 on Attention: The Real Aphrodisiac, which was an excellent presentation of what she calls Continuous Partial Attention. I imagine anyone reading this blog/entry knows what she's talking about.
I also found the following quote by Dee Hock (founder of Visa), back in 1996, very insightful with regards to the huge amount of data we face daily and maybe some ideas on how to make it all useful:
- Noise becomes data when it has a cognitive pattern.
- Data becomes information when assembled into a coherent whole, which can be related to other information.
- Information becomes knowledge when integrated with other information in a form useful for making decisions and determining actions.
- Knowledge becomes understanding when related to other knowledge in a manner useful in anticipating, judging and acting.
- Understanding becomes wisdom when informed by purpose, ethics, principles, memory and projection.